Wednesday 29 September 2010

20 Questions

Just to give you all a little insight into my brain on this blog I have answered 20 questions about horror below. If you want to pose any other questions then post them on my comments below or via my Twitter account.

Favourite Horror Film
I love Seven and watch it when I can but some will argue whether it is a true horror film or not. IT has also been one of my favourites for a long time. I remember watching a VHS copy as a child, recorded from satellite TV. It’s a cliché but The Shining is just about as good as any or Poltergeist since I was a child, my brother threw out his clown cuddly toy because of that film. My all time favourite, however, has to be Jaws.

Favourite Horror Director
Oh, so many. I’m a sucker for Robert Rodriguez, I must admit. Landis, Hooper, Kubrick and Hitchcock go without saying. Wes Craven has changed the face of horror on several occasions but, Guillermo Del Toro is the master for me at the moment.

Favourite Villain
Jack Torrance in The Shining. You can see his descent into the maniac and when he gets there he is truly terrifying. Nicholson looks every bit the madman as he stalks around the hotel but still keeps a witty sophistication too. Though one might argument that as much as he is the villain he is also the victim (less so in the book, maybe).

                      
Favourite Protagonist
I think in most horror films the villain is more interesting and exciting than the hero. I think one of the major exceptions is Ripley in Alien who really steals the show so it’s her I’ll choose.

Favourite All Time Scream Queen
Janet Leigh. Anybody who starred in Psycho and conceived Jamie Lee Curtis is a winner in my book although Shelley Duvall is thoroughly convincing in The Shining.

Favourite Modern Day Scream Queen
Katherine Isabelle is often overlooked but her role in Ginger Snaps makes her worthy in itself. After her role in Planet Terror though backed up by her part in Scream I’m going to pick Rose McGowan.

First Horror You Remember Seeing
I think it was probably Critters. I remember watching it with my brother and cousin who were quite a bit older than me. Around the same time we watched some bad B-movies that my grandmother had bought. They were on VHS and came in cardboard covers instead of cases. I think I would have seen horror films before that on our Betamax but I can’t remember any of them.


Favourite Remake
I think a lot of remakes lately have been terrible. I did enjoy the Dawn of the Dead remake, even though it broke some major zombie rules but, for me, The Fly is the ultimate remake. It’s better than the original, which most aren’t.

All Time Horror Icon
Wow! There’s a lot of these. Bruce Campbell always entertains. Vincent Price doesn’t even need to be seen to be recognised, that voice is enough. Emily Booth does her bit for the girls. Then there are guys that just ooze an aura of horror from the time they show on screen. Tony Todd is good at this but there is one man who whenever you see him you just think horror and that’s Robert Englund.

If You Could Remake Any Film Which Would It Be?
Faust, a German film based on Doctor Faustus. I planned on writing a modern version whilst still at school and may still give it a shot.

Favourite TV Horror
I don’t think there is enough horror programmes on TV. My favourite is The League of Gentlemen. It isn’t a full horror but it’s has moments that get really creepy. Their Christmas special is terrifying, especially Papa Lazarou.



Favourite Horror Novel
I love Stephen King’s horror novels but my favourite Bag of Bones which gripped me from beginning to end. I enjoy reading and am very fond of King but this one I enjoyed more than any other

If You Could Adapt Any Novel Which Would It Be?
Whilst on holidays I read Duma Key and I think the scene where we first see the ship would look magical on the big screen. The image has been seared into my brain. However, I think Shaun Hutson’s Hybrid would be amazing on the big screen.

Who Past/Present Do You Think Should Be Scream Queens?
From the past; Marilyn Monroe. She had the perfect mix of sexuality and innocence to be a memorable Scream Queen. Modern Day? Gemma Arterton would have been great in some 60s British horrors.

Who Would Make a Great Horror Villain?
Dita Von Teese would make a brilliant gothic, Elizabeth Bathory type villainess. Benedict Cumberbatch would be a superb villain; he’s got a unique oddness about him and a great intensity.



Which Film Are You Most Looking Forward to Seeing?
I haven’t seen The Last Exorcism or Devil yet so they are quite high on my list. I’m intrigued to see what they have done with I Spit on Your Grave. I really can’t wait for Jovanka Vuckovic’s The Captured Bird but Black Swan has me interested more than any other. 

Favourite Quote from a Horror Film?
That’s easy “They’re heeeerrrrreeeee!” 

Which Song Would Be the Soundtrack to Your Horror Film?
There would be more terrifying than having to listen to Justin Beiber on a loop but for completely the wrong reason. Bodies by Drowning Pool is begging to be used (If it hasn’t already).

Are You a Fan of 3D?
I think it’s a fun idea but, something needs to be done about those annoying glasses you have to wear. After about half hour I get distracted by the uncomfortable glasses and start concentrating on the instead of the film. Also, 3D should add to a film not be it’s only positive point. It seems some film makers are so interested in making it 3D they forgot about the rest of the process like writing, which is a real shame.

Why Do You Love Horror So Much?
I don’t think I could pin it down to just one thing. I think it’s the emotional connection that makes it so good. A good horror drags you out of you comfort zone and the feelings pass you by because you are too busy trying not to get hurt. However, horror gives you the same feelings without physically putting you in danger. I think that’s why it’s so good and maybe a bit addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment